Monday, April 13, 2009

Song of the Lost Self

___________

Attention!

This is not a poem, but a collage of advertisements. It means that I didn't work as a writer but as a jobless and almost desperate reader who, early in the morning, was looking at the Job Opportunity section of the Sunday Paper. It doesn't have anything to do with a piece of automatic writing, nor with the poem that André Breton once wrote using the page of the phone book in which his name and address were listed. This collage is but the satirical, repetitive monologue of the job-hunter who is forced to see reality in the terms publicity wants. But in each advertisement we read, there is, I believe, a precise political meaning. They (who?) tell us how to behave, to look, to think, in order to have a job and make a living. I know that the text is boring, but it was the only way to catch the immediate meaning of such a violent and coercive situation. Probably, I would have had a better inspiration if I had been reading Rimbaud.

O saisons, ô châteaux!

I'm bright, I'm efficient,
I have an energetic and friendly personality,
I'm a highly qualified individual,
I'm a highly motivated individual who is sincere & honest,
I have strong written and verbal communication skills,
I consider myself in the top 1% of my profession,
I'm aware of the power in building close relationships
with my associates,
I always see things through to perfection,
I do work at getting people to like me,
I possess the discipline necessary to be responsible
for the implementation of company policy and procedures.
I'm willing to learn and grow in a business environment
that promotes autonomous decision making,
I perform well without direct supervision,
I'm willing to work hard in friendly fast paced environments,
and I also enjoy being underpaid,
I'm willing to work flexible shifts,
I do need extra hours,
I have a degree w/3-5 yrs indus exp,
I do need extra money,
I will accept $4.25/hr, and/or $3.35/hr for P/T on call position,
I'm willing to work F/T, P/T,
I will call immediately to apply or discuss the possibility,
I'll come in or call for an interview now!
I will go w/my own bike,
I will go w/my own car,
I will go w/my own truck,
I will walk, if it's necessary,
I will send resume,
I will Apply in Person.
Yes, I want a success I can count on.
I'm creative about using time,
I have Gd knowledge of office support skills & general business
and I am a motivated self-starter.
I'm organized.

I have strong problem solving, communication and management
skills,
I have the ability to motivate others,
I have a direct, clear, pleasant voice.
I'll tell you when I want to work,
I'll tell you when I want to sing,
I'll tell you when I want to drink,
I'll tell you when I want to eat,
I'll tell you when I want to piss,
I'll tell you when I want to fuck.
I'm flexible.
And responsible.
I'm self-motivated, enthusiastic, aggressive,
I'm goal orientated, tenacious and dedicated,
I'm looking for a challenging and financially rewarding position,
I want $50,000, or more
I want $100,000, or more
I want $1,000,000, or more.
I do have a strong desire to succeed.
I want to enter the car wash field w/no exp,
I'm an energetic career-minded person,
I'm a top quality individual with the desire to succeed,
I'm aggressive, a self-motivated individual with the desire
and the experience to run a successful operation,
I thank you for encouraging minorities and Spanish-speaking to
apply,
I'm creative,
I'm mature,
I'm enthusiastic, articulate, aggressive,
I have a sales-orientated mind,
I have the ability to follow complex oral and written directions,
I'm capable of working independently,
I like heavy phones and word processing,
I love to wash dishes,
I have the ability to work with minimal supervision,
I have a strong phone manner, excellent skills,
I have the ability to interact successfully with people
and the desire to dig in and get things done,
I enjoy working under pressure,
and I also have a Gd sense of humor,
I'm circumspect in handling personnel-related matters,
I will respond in confidence,
I do have a strong work ethic...

WHAT ABOUT YOU, PIGS?




Bruno Gullì
San Francisco, 1987

2 comments: